St. John the Baptist Episcopal Church Children’s Ministry Staff
St. John’s seeks candidates who are passionate about supporting children, youth, and families while working to ensure that the Parish is a welcoming and inclusive place of worship for all people.
Primary Role:This position works closely with the Family Life Minister to provide care for children ages birth through 5thgrade and participates in the Sunday morning program and other church events from set-up through clean-up.
Success on the Job: To be successful in this position, the right candidate will need to fit into a culture which values independent and creative thinking, authenticity, maturity, and collaboration. Children’s Ministry Staff will often be a first point of contact for visitors and new families and the ability to earn trust, create a space for belonging and joy, and integrating new members is essential.
Compensation:$15.00/hour working two or three Sundays per week on average.
Hours: Hours are 9:00-12:00 during the program year and 10:00-12:00 in the summer.
Reports to: Family Life Minister
Application and Hiring Process: Positions are now open and applications will be accepted until the positions are filled. Cover letter, resume, and references should be sent to The Rev. Kate Wesch at firstname.lastname@example.org.
About the Church: St. John’s is part of the Episcopal Church, founded in West Seattle in 1893 and continuing as a worship community ever since. The congregation has lived through many life cycles in this century plus and is currently in a phase of vibrant growth and renewal. Attendance has increased by 33% in the past year with an average of 122 people attending on Sundays. We have two services; a smaller and more meditative service at 8:00 a.m., Adult Formation from 9:15-10:00 a.m., and a more well attended service at 10:15 a.m. with a choir.
A well-established Sunday School program, Catechesis of the Good Shepherd, begins at 10:00 a.m. with children ages 3 through 5thgrade joining their families mid-way through the service for the eucharist. We have two Sunday School classrooms; a room for 3-6-year olds and another classroom for children in 1st-5thgrade. We provide nursery care for children 2 and under. The Nursery typically has anywhere from two to five children on a given Sunday. St. John’s averages ten to twenty children on a Sunday and is growing.
Required Skills and Competencies
- Excellent attendance for scheduled shifts;
- Schedule your own substitute for unavoidable absences, emailing changes to Family Life Minister;
- Ability to work well with peers;
- Ability to follow instructions;
- Ability to work independently and exhibit maturity in decision making;
- Strong interpersonal relationship skills necessary to communicate in a professional manner with a diverse group of children, parents, volunteers and other staff;
- Ability to work with patience in a busy and boisterous environment;
- Experience with caring for infants and children and awareness of various developmental needs;
- Completion of the following trainings:
- Safe-Guarding God’s Children
- Infant CPR and First Aid
- Read Diocese of Olympia’s “Handbook for Those who Work with Children and Youth”
- Other staff development meetings and trainings.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide a welcoming environment for parents, children, and all parishioners;
- Provide full attention to infants and children, engaging them in appropriate activities;
- Check inventory and communicate needed supplies to the Family Life Minister;
- Responsibly and precisely follow set-up and clean-up procedures;
- Communicate with Family Life Minister regarding shared spaces and materials;
- Monitor environment for safety and cleanliness; clean and disinfect rooms at the end of Sunday shift;
- Be aware of children who have allergies or special needs;
- Understand emergency procedures;
- Record time accurately and turn time sheets in to the Family Life Minister.