Community Meal-This Weekend
Community Meal April 26th
Saint John’s will host the West Seattle Community Meal on Sunday, April 26th. This is a free meal for anyone in the West Seattle community, located at Our Lady of Guadalupe Church (OLG), and we typically serve around 120 seniors and low-/fixed-income people. The meal is cooked and served in OLG’s new multi-purpose gym facility, on 35th Ave SW, across the street to the north of the church. It is a perfect example of the radical hospitality that our Bishop calls us to, and includes tablecloths, fresh flowers and a delicious meal. Peace Lutheran will provide desserts. This meal is always a success because of your generous assistance! Here’s how you can help:
1) Food prep on Saturday April 25th in the St John’s kitchen from noon to 3:00.
2) Community Meal Day – We need volunteers on Sunday April 26th in a variety of capacities, including cooking, set up, serving, and clean-up. Come for part or all, whatever works for you.
· 9 am -11:30 Setting up: tables and chairs (includes light lifting), setting tables, flowers for each table
· 9 am -12:30 Kitchen help: cooking, food prep, beverages
· 12:30-3 Meal Service: (young adults, school aged kids encouraged) pouring hot and cold drinks, plating meals in kitchen, running plates to diners, helping clear plates. We start serving at 1:00.
· 2:30 -4:30 Cleanup: clearing tables, washing dishes, kitchen cleanup, break-down of tables and chairs (includes light lifting), sweeping dining area.
3) Flowers from your garden – for table centerpieces. Drop them by the St. John’s kitchen on Saturdayfrom 12-3, or bring to OLG on Sunday morning.
4) Monetary support – the meal is supported through the work of the Arts & Crafts Co-op, and your donations, and we work hard to keep our costs down. If you would like to make a contribution, please include it in your Sunday offering and indicate “Community Meal” on your check or envelope.
About the Community Meal: St John’s is part of a group of West Seattle churches that provide outreach to our community, including this free meal, which occurs the fourth Sunday of most months. This is typically the time when food stamps and fixed budgets run extra tight, and for many of our guests, this is their big meal of the day. To make it easier for our guests to find us, meals are always served at Our Lady of Guadalupe Catholic Church, located at 7000 35th Avenue SW. Rather than operating as a soup kitchen, we work hard to create a restaurant-quality meal with a full-service dining experience. It is through your time, talent and generosity that we are able to pull it off each time, and we’ve heard many times that St. John’s provides some of the best meals! If you have volunteered for this in the past, you know what a fun and rewarding experience it is; if you haven’t come find out for yourself. If you have any questions, please contact Anne Rogers or Jennifer Babuca, or fill in the contact form.